Please note: I am not currently looking for employment.
Please do not contact me about potential job opportunities.
- Programming Languages
- Document Languages
- HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT
- Databases and related tools
- Microsoft SQL Server (development, DBA, performance tuning), Analysis Services (a multi-dimensional/OLAP database),
ProClarity, Data Transformation Services
- Operating systems
- GNU/Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X
- Version control
- Subversion, CVS, ClearCase, SourceSafe
Google UK (http://www.google.com)
February 2007 – present — Software Engineer
Working on mobile technologies.
October 2001 – February 2007 — Senior Consultant
Working for a leading independent Business Intelligence specialist.
Worked on a number of different projects at various times, notably:
November 2006 – February 2007 — Nationwide Building Society (http://www.nationwide.co.uk/), Technical Lead
- Provided technical and team leadership for the ongoing design and
implementation of a regulatory (Basel
II) compliance reporting data mart.
October 2004 – October 2006 — Lloyds TSB (http://www.lloydstsb.com/), Lead Developer
- Lead the design and implementation of a credit-risk analysis data warehouse/data mart
and associated front-end tools, primarily designed to assess capital adequacy for Basel II compliance.
- Mentored new developers in all areas of development.
April 2002 – February 2003 — Clerical Medical Investment Group (http://www.clericalmedical.co.uk/), Lead Developer
- Designed and implemented a data mart and web-based reporting system for
analysing sales of company’s products by Independent Financial Advisors, based
on data from an existing data warehouse.
October 2001 – March 2005 — Reckitt Benckiser (http://www.reckitt.com/home.cfm), Developer
- Assisted in design and implementation of a daily operational reporting data mart
primarily fed from a Siebel CRM database, a JD Edwards general ledger system,
and Nielsen market share data, to assess the financial value of sales-floor
- Provided technical training presentations to support staff globally.
- Also assisted in the development of a balanced scorecard for management
reporting for another data mart, which involved writing a COM visualisation
and navigation plug-in for a third-party reporting tool.
Retelligence (http://www.retelligence.com/) (formerly Great Lakes Research and Development)
July 1998 – October 2001 — Consultant
Working for a small Microsoft-oriented development consultancy on a series of different projects:
June 2000 – October 2001 — Faith Footwear (http://www.faith.co.uk/), Lead Developer
- Lead the design and implementation of a stock management and point-of-sale wireless hand-held terminal application for use at each of Faith’s 300+ outlets.
Retelligence was later formed as an ISV primarily to market this product to
to consolidate and report on information from individual stores.
- Developed a C++ COM component to generate PDF output to provide downloads of printable reports on-demand.
March 1999 – June 2000 — Marks & Spencer (http://www.marksandspencer.com/), SQL Server application support
- Provided application support (occasionally out-of-hours) for the M&S Direct warehouse management system, a suite of client-server applications written using Visual Basic and SQL Server 6.5.
- Also spent a large proportion of time assisting the development team in database design and performance tuning.
- Also involved in smaller sub-projects, including reverse engineering and debugging a large real-time MFC C++ application.
July 1998 – March 1999 — Marks & Spencer, Year 2000 compliance
- Worked on a year 2000 project to ensure the compliance of a mainframe application platform, including: documenting the existing systems, authoring test plans and scripts, modifying the systems, testing the changes, and updating the production system.
British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/)
July 1996 – September 1997 — Industrial Placement Student
- Assisted in the evaluation of new products and technologies, especially including:
- Java, Java development environments, RMI & CORBA,
- C++ class libraries (Rogue Wave Tools.h++),
- Netscape Enterprise Server, Netscape Catalog Server, and Oracle Web Server.
- Responsible for maintaining and supporting an in-house cross-platform C++ class library.
- Implemented British Airways’ first company-wide intranet search engine using Netscape Catalog Server.
Also provided a customised interface (which involved writing a shared library).
- Built a convenience and portability library to assist customers in writing web-based applications that would run on both Netscape and Oracle web servers.
Bacon & Woodrow
August 1993 – October 1994 — Technical Assistant
- Assisted in validating a new client and job management system.
This involved writing basic SQL queries and automated regression testing and
data loading scripts.
August 2005 – present
Contributor to development of the Subversion client and libraries,
particularly in improving the
FSFS backend filesystem and
client-side diff implementation.
Full committer since November 2005.
Technical reviewer for Practical Subversion, 2nd edition (http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10203).
December 2003 – August 2004
Reviewed, and significantly contributed to discussion of, the WHATWG Web Forms 2.0 specification.
Education and Certifications
1994 – 1998 — First class degree, BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer
2000 — Visual Basic, SQL Server
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer for .Net
2004 — C#, SQL Server
Available on request.
Document location: http://www.farside.org.uk/resume
$LastChangedDate: 2007-07-01 21:02:43 +0100 (Sun, 01 Jul 2007) $